If you’re in the market for a BMW, there’s much to consider – engine, trim, and budget are all critical discussion points.
But one little feature that could make your driving experience even more luxurious is ambient lighting.
Here are all BMW models that have ambient lighting:
- BMW 1 Series (2019 – present)
- BMW 2 Series (2021 – present)
- BMW 3 Series (2018 – present)
- BMW 4 Series (2020 – present)
- BMW 5 Series (2020 – present)
- BMW 7 Series (2016 – present)
- BMW 8 Series (2018 – present)
- BMW X1 (2022 – present)
- BMW X2 (2023 – present)
- BMW X3 (2021 – present)
- BMW X4 (2018 – present)
- BMW X5 (2019 – present)
- BMW X6 (2020 – present)
- BMW X7 (2019 – present)
- BMW XM (2022 – present)
- BMW i4 (2022 – present)
- BMW iX (2022 – present)
- BMW Z4 (2019 – present)
All BMW models with ambient lighting
First, you should know that ambient lighting is not standard on all BMW models.
For most BMW models, the ambient lighting package became available between 2018 and 2021.
However, ambient lighting is not a standard feature for many BMWs, even new models.
When looking at the lower-end BMW models, ambient lighting is often optional. Meanwhile, higher-end models like the X7 have the ambient lighting package as standard.
Here is an in-depth list of all current BMW models with ambient lighting:
- BMW 1 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 1 Series is standard on M Sport, 128ti, and M135i xDrive models and available as part of the Comfort Pack I on SE and Sport models.
- BMW 2 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 2 Series is standard on M Sport and M235i xDrive models and available as part of the Comfort Pack I for Sport models.
- BMW 3 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 3 Series is standard on all trims, including the 330i, 330e, and M340i.
- BMW 4 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 4 Series is standard on all trims, including the 430i, 440i, and M4.
- BMW 5 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 5 Series is standard on all trims, including the 530i, 530e, and 540i.
- BMW 7 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 7 Series is standard on all trims. The Sky Lounge panoramic sunroof is available as standard on Excellence Pro and M Sport Pro models and as part of the Skylounge and Ultimate Packs on other models.
- BMW 8 Series. Ambient lighting on the BMW 8 Series is standard on all trims, including the 840i and M850i.
- BMW X2. Ambient lighting on the BMW X2 is standard on the M Sport, M Sport X, and M35i models and available as part of the Comfort Pack I for SE and Sport models.
- BMW X3. Ambient lighting on the BMW X3 is standard on all trims, including the 30i and M40i.
- BMW X4. Ambient lighting on the BMW X4 is standard on all trims.
- BMW X5. Ambient lighting on the BMW X5 is standard on all trims, including the 40i and M50i.
- BMW X6. Ambient lighting on the BMW X6 is standard on all trims.
- BMW X7. Ambient lighting on the BMW X7 is standard on all trims. The Sky Lounge panoramic sunroof is available as part of the Skylounge and Ultimate Packs.
- BMW XM. Ambient lighting on the BMW XM is standard on all trims.
- BMW i4. Ambient lighting on the BMW i4 is standard on all trims.
- BMW iX. Ambient lighting on the BMW iX is standard on all trims.
- BMW Z4. Ambient lighting on the BMW Z4 is standard on all trims.
Tip: You can learn how to identify your exact BMW model here.
What is BMW ambient lighting?
You now know which BMW models have ambient lighting available, but what exactly is it?
BMW ambient lighting is a feature that creates a relaxing, softly lit environment in the interior of the car.
You can choose from various colors (9 in some models and up to 15 in others) to set the tone for your ride. Whether you’re feeling energized with Azure, chill with Ivory, or spicy with Flamingo, there’s a color to match your vibe.
Ambient lighting is integrated throughout the car, from the front to the rear, footwells, and even the storage compartments.
There’s also contour lighting on the instrument panel and door trim panels for that extra sophistication.
BMW’s ambient lighting also reacts to different situations. A soft light welcomes you when you start your journey, and a gentle goodbye light sees you off when you park. It even lights up when you open the door or receive a phone call.
In short, BMW’s ambient lighting is about creating a cozy, personalized atmosphere in your car. Whether you’re heading out on a road trip or just driving home from work, BMW’s ambient lighting is there to make every journey a little bit brighter!
Reader’s tip: Master Your BMW: 20 Tips And 9 Hidden Features! (2023)
How do you turn on the ambient lighting in a BMW?
Alright, so now you’re sitting there, thinking, ‘Great, I’ve got this fancy BMW with the power to host a light show, but how do I get the party started?’
No worries, it’s easy.
Here’s how you can turn on ambient lighting in a BMW:
- Step into your BMW.
- Press the start button.
- Locate your iDrive controller on the center console.
- Twist, push, or tap that iDrive controller to bring up the main menu on your display screen.
- Navigate to ‘Car,’ ‘Settings,’ and then ‘Interior lighting.’
- Once you’re in the ‘Interior Lighting’ menu, find the ‘Ambient Lighting’ option. Click on it, and your ambient lighting will turn on!
- Now, you can adjust the color and brightness to your liking.
And that’s it!
Note: Sometimes, your BMW’s lights stay on while the car is off. This is either because your car is in a ‘ready state’ or due to your iDrive settings.
How do you change the colors of your BMW’s ambient lighting?
Changing the color of your BMW’s ambient lighting can be done in the following seven steps:
- Start your car.
- Wake up your iDrive system by giving the controller a little twirl or push.
- Navigate to the ‘Car’ menu.
- Find the ‘Settings’ option and click on it.
- Click on ‘Interior Lighting.’
- Click on ‘Ambient Lighting’ and then ‘Color.’ You should see a whole rainbow of colors to choose from.
- Now, simply choose your color. Whether you like a cool blue or a vibrant orange, there’s a color to match every mood.
What if BMW’s ambient lighting is not working? (4 Fixes)
Oh no! Is your BMW’s ambient lighting playing hard to get?
Don’t worry; let’s see if we can troubleshoot this hiccup together.
Here’s what to do when BMW’s ambient lighting is not working:
- Check the Basics. Before we dive deep, let’s check the basics. Is your car equipped with ambient lighting, and is it turned on? Is the iDrive system working? Maybe it’s too bright outside to see the ambient lighting working? Sometimes, the simplest solution is the one we overlook.
- The iDrive System. If your car and iDrive are on, but you’re still in the dark, your iDrive system might need a reboot. To do this, press and hold the volume knob for about 30 seconds until the screen goes black, then let it restart.
- Check the Settings. Your ambient lighting settings may have been reset or changed. Navigate back to the ‘Interior Lighting’ option in the iDrive menu and make sure everything is set as it should be.
- Time for a Check-up. If none of these steps work, it might be time to take your BMW for a check-up. While BMWs are generally reliable, they’re not immune to the occasional hiccup.
The future of BMW’s ambient lighting
Now that we’ve got a handle on what’s happening with BMW’s ambient lighting today, let’s take a moment to dream about the future.
While we can’t predict the future (my crystal ball is at the cleaners), we can make some educated guesses based on what BMW has been up to recently.
Firstly, it’s clear that BMW sees ambient lighting as more than just a fancy extra. It’s a key part of the driving experience.
So, we can expect to see more innovation and personalization options. Maybe we’re talking about customizable light shows, mood-based lighting, or even light patterns that react to your music. The possibilities are endless!
Secondly, we might see BMW’s ambient lighting play a more significant role in safety. Imagine if your car could alert you to potential hazards or essential notifications through ambient lighting. That’s some James Bond-level stuff right there!
Thirdly, we could see integration with more advanced technologies like augmented reality (AR) and artificial intelligence (AI).
Maybe your car could sense when you’re stressed and adjust the lighting to help you relax. Or perhaps it could sync with your calendar and light up to celebrate your birthday. Who knows?
What’s clear is that the future of BMW’s ambient lighting is bright (pun intended).
As technology advances, the line between science fiction and reality becomes blurrier.
One thing’s for sure: BMW will continue to innovate, and we can’t wait to see what they come up with next.
FAQs about BMW ambient lighting
If you’ve more questions about BMW’s ambient lighting feature, take a look at these FAQs:
Do all BMWs come with ambient lighting?
Not all BMW models come with ambient lighting. While it’s a common feature in many of the latest models, particularly in the luxury and high-performance ranges, it might not be present in some older or entry-level models.
In what year did BMW introduce ambient lighting?
BMW first introduced ambient lighting in 2001 with the E65 7 Series. However, the feature has significantly evolved over time, with newer models offering more advanced and customizable ambient lighting options.
How do I get ambient lighting in my BMW?
If your BMW model supports ambient lighting, you can control it via the iDrive system. Navigate to the ‘Car’ menu, find ‘Settings,’ and click ‘Interior Lighting.’ From there, you can turn on ambient lighting.
If your BMW does not currently have ambient lighting, it might be possible to install it, but you should consult a BMW dealership or a professional installer for advice.
What is BMW Sky Lounge?
BMW Sky Lounge is a feature available in some BMW models, particularly in the X7 series. It’s a panoramic glass roof that includes LED lights, creating a starlit sky effect inside the vehicle.
Well, there you have it; we’ve explored everything related to BMW’s ambient lighting, learned how to turn it on, change the colors, and even troubleshoot some common issues.
Now that you’re a certified ambient lighting guru, share your knowledge with other BMW drivers. After all, who doesn’t love a good light show?
Until next time, stay bright and happy driving!
Other BMW features
Interested in learning more about other BMW features? If so, take a look at these articles:
- BMW Ambient Air: Best Scents, How To Install It, And More!
- BMW Active Steering: What Is It & Does Your Car Have It?
- BMW Digital Key (Plus & Card): An Easy Guide For Everyone!
- BMW Electronic Damper Control (EDC): All You Should Know
- Which BMWs Have Wireless Charging? (+ How To Retrofit It)
- Which BMW Models Have Launch Control? (+ How To Use It!)