Have you ever seen the glow inside a Mercedes-Benz at night and wondered what makes it look so enticing?
Well, that’s ambient lighting, one of the standout features of Mercedes-Benz!
In this article, we will list all Mercedes-Benz models that come with ambient lighting, walk you through how to activate it in your vehicle, and more!
Sounds interesting, right?
Overview: Mercedes-Benz models with ambient lighting
So, you’re wondering which Mercedes-Benz models come with ambient lighting.
Well, the good news is, there’s quite a list to choose from. Let’s take a detailed look.
Below is a list of all Mercedes-Benz models that come with ambient lighting:
- Mercedes-Benz A-Class (2016 Onwards, Optional)
- Mercedes-Benz B-Class (2018 Onwards, Optional)
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class (2018 Onwards, Optional)
- Mercedes-Benz CLA (2016 Onwards, Optional)
- Mercedes-Benz CLS (2018 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class (2010 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz EQB (2022 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz EQE (2023 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz EQS (2022 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz G-Class (2018 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz GLA (2016 Onwards, Optional)
- Mercedes-Benz GLB (2019 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz GLC (2016 Onwards, Optional)
- Mercedes-Benz GLE (2016 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz GLS (2016 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class (2006 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz SL-Class (2022 Onwards)
- Mercedes-Benz V-Class (2018 Onwards)
Tip: If you’re not sure which Mercedes-Benz model you have, you can use our guide here to find out!
What year did Mercedes-Benz start offering ambient lighting?
Ambient lighting has become a symbol of luxury, and Mercedes-Benz has been at the forefront of its development and implementation.
But when exactly did they start offering this feature?
Mercedes-Benz first introduced ambient lighting in the year 2006 with the W221 S-Class. Next, the W211 Mercedes-Benz E-Class also came with ambient lighting from 2010 onwards.
However, it was not until 2016 that Mercedes-Benz started seriously focusing on ambient lighting as a significant aspect of their car designs, starting with the Mercedes-Benz A-Class.
This year marked a turning point where the company began to develop and implement more advanced, customizable, and interactive ambient lighting systems.
This evolution has played a crucial role in setting Mercedes-Benz models apart, providing an immersive experience that speaks to the elegance and innovation inherent in the brand.
Now, in the year 2023, almost all new Mercedes-Benz models come with an advanced version of ambient lighting as standard!
Mercedes-Benz ambient lighting types
It’s important to know that Mercedes-Benz’s ambient lighting has evolved significantly over time.
From a relatively basic feature in its initial days to the high-tech, fully customizable system it is today, the journey is nothing short of fascinating.
Let’s shed some light on the various types of ambient lighting that Mercedes-Benz offers:
First-generation ambient lighting
This was introduced with the W221 S-Class in 2006. The first iteration was simple, offering a soft, non-adjustable glow in the vehicle’s interior.
Standard ambient lighting
In 2016, Mercedes-Benz started to offer standard ambient lighting in various models. This system provided a uniform glow inside the car but lacked adjustability in intensity and color.
Optional ambient lighting
As the name suggests, this is an optional upgrade over the standard ambient lighting. Introduced in various models from 2016 onwards, this version offered a bit more customizability, with the ability to adjust the brightness and colors.
64-Color ambient lighting
This is where Mercedes-Benz truly began to revolutionize in-car illumination. Introduced in high-end models like the S-Class and E-Class, this system offered an astonishing 64 colors to choose from, giving the driver an unparalleled level of personalization.
Energizing Comfort Control with ambient lighting
This latest innovation in Mercedes-Benz ambient lighting is the most advanced to date.
Not only does it offer customization of color and brightness, but it also coordinates with other interior systems.
This includes synchronizing the ambient lighting with the in-car climate control, music, seat massage function, and even the driver’s mood, creating a truly immersive in-car experience.
How do you turn on ambient lighting on a Mercedes-Benz?
Turning on the ambient lighting in a Mercedes-Benz car is relatively straightforward.
Here is a general guide that will apply to most modern Mercedes-Benz models.
- Start Your Vehicle: The first step, quite naturally, is to start your vehicle. Once the car is running, you can access the vehicle’s infotainment system.
- Access the Infotainment System: Most modern Mercedes-Benz vehicles have the Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) infotainment system. On the central console or through the steering wheel controls, select the ‘Home’ button to access the main menu of the system.
- Navigate to the Light Settings: From the main menu, navigate to the ‘Vehicle’ section. Here, you’ll find an option named ‘Light Settings’ or ‘Ambient Light.’ The exact terminology might vary based on the model and system software.
- Select Ambient Lighting: Once in the light settings, select ‘Ambient Lighting.’ This will take you to the control panel for the ambient lighting system.
- Turn On Ambient Lighting: Within the ambient lighting settings, you should find an option to turn the system on or off. Switch it to ‘On’ to activate the ambient lighting.
- Customize Your Lighting: If your model supports customizable ambient lighting, you can select the color and intensity of the light from this screen. Some models offer up to 64 different colors and multiple brightness levels, so feel free to experiment and choose what suits your mood or preference.
And there you have it! These steps should turn on the ambient lighting in your Mercedes-Benz.
Why doesn’t my Mercedes-Benz have ambient lighting?
You’ve seen all the incredible images and videos of Mercedes-Benz cars with gorgeous ambient lighting, and now you’re wondering: why doesn’t my own Mercedes-Benz have ambient lighting?
There are several reasons why this might be the case:
- Model and Year of Your Mercedes-Benz: The first thing to consider is the model and year of your vehicle. As we’ve previously discussed, not all Mercedes-Benz models or years come with ambient lighting.
- Optional Feature: Ambient lighting is not a standard feature in all Mercedes-Benz models. In some cases, it’s offered as an optional add-on at the time of purchase. If you or the original owner did not opt for this feature when buying the car, it might not have ambient lighting.
- Vehicle Settings: It’s also possible that your Mercedes-Benz does have ambient lighting, but it’s currently switched off or set to a low brightness level that’s hard to notice. Check your vehicle’s light settings via the infotainment system or consult your vehicle’s manual to ensure ambient lighting is turned on and the brightness is appropriately adjusted.
- Technical Issues: Lastly, if your car is supposed to have ambient lighting and you’re sure it’s not due to any settings, there could be a technical issue. In this case, it’s best to contact a Mercedes-Benz service center or your car dealership for further assistance.
Remember, while ambient lighting adds a luxurious touch, it’s only one feature that makes driving a Mercedes-Benz a remarkable experience.
Even without it, your Mercedes-Benz still offers outstanding performance, comfort, and style.
What is the Mercedes-Benz Interior Light package?
The Mercedes-Benz Interior Light package, also known as the Ambient Light package, is a lighting feature designed to enhance the aesthetic appeal inside your Mercedes-Benz.
While the specifics of the package may vary across different models and years, here are some of the key features usually included in the Mercedes-Benz Interior Light package:
- Ambient Lighting: The central attraction of the package, ambient lighting adds a unique charm to the vehicle’s interior. With the ability to customize colors in many models, you can set the right mood for your journey anytime.
- Illuminated Door Sill Panels: These are not just about aesthetics but also practicality. The illuminated door sill panels make it easier to get in and out of the car, especially in low light conditions, while also adding a touch of elegance.
- Exit and Warning Lights: These lights are designed to increase safety when exiting your vehicle or opening the doors, alerting passing vehicles and pedestrians.
- Reading Lights: Whether you need to check a map or want to read a book during a long drive, the reading lights in the Interior Light package offer focused, clear light without disturbing the driver.
- Illuminated Footwell: This feature adds a sense of space and depth to your Mercedes-Benz, making the interior feel more comfortable.
- Illuminated Vanity Mirrors: A small but significant feature, the illumination around the vanity mirrors in the sun visors ensures you always look your best.
Together, all these elements create a harmonious and luxurious environment inside your Mercedes-Benz.
To wrap up our journey through Mercedes-Benz’s ambient lighting, it’s clear that this feature is far more than just a stylistic choice.
It’s an integral part of the brand’s commitment to delivering the highest standards of luxury, comfort, and innovation.
Whether it’s the subtle glow of the first-generation ambient lighting or the dazzling 64-color systems found in the latest models, every iteration adds a unique charm to the vehicle’s interior.
So, next time you get into a Mercedes-Benz, take a moment to appreciate the glow of the ambient lighting. Safe travels!